Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Need a good side dish?

I was looking back at my posts so far this year and saw that I had started out posting recipes that used fresh ingredients. Well, with the upcoming gardens, CSA's and farmer's markets, now is the time to really start thinking about "Eating healthy, eating local" again. So, I'm going to pull this one back out and I am going to start posting recipes again! Please let me know if you try them, like them, change them or have any other ideas about these recipes as we go along. I love reading your comments and it encourages me to comment more on other's blogs. Anyway, here is the recipe for today, a wonderful summer time side dish that is great to make ahead of time and take to family reunions, church gatherings, or days in the park.


Asian Slaw

2 packages cabbage slaw mix (or grate your own fresh from the garden or farmer's market)
2 packets beef ramen noodles
Green onions (garden or farmer's market)
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup slivered almonds
3/4 cup Oil
1/4 cup Vinegar (I used White wine because I was out of regular and have used it every since)
1/2 cup Sugar

Crush noodles in the bottom of the bowl. Set aside flavor packets. Pour in slaw mix and green onions. In another bowl, mix oil, vinegar, sugar and flavor packets. Pour over slaw. Top with seeds and almonds. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and put in frig. over night. Toss everything together before serving to mix flavors. Serve.

No comments: