Thursday, January 28, 2010

The pity party is over...

... and I'm back to my old self. I think the problem I am having is a time issue. It is difficult as a working mom to find time to organize, clean and cook. It is hard to stay one step ahead or stay on top of things and it doesn't help to have a someone going behind you messing things back up (and having a two year old around the house doesn't help either :) ). Well, I'm trying to get back in the saddle and back on track. The one thing that my husband has mentioned is that he really needs to eat better and is willing to help with the baby so I can focus on cooking healthy. So, I'm taking him up on that offer. I have spent a great deal of time this week putting together a meal plan according to the government pyramid guidelines using the most fresh fruits, veggies, and whole wheat/grains that I can. For my first plan, I think I did pretty good. It will require a lot of prep work on my part and organization since I do work, but I'm willing to give it a shot. I'll let you know how it works for my family next week. As for exercise, I have fit in a couple of workouts this week and hope to add more next week, but I'm taking it slow and hoping it will stick better. The same with some of my other goals. In the mean time, here is another great recipe for this week from Ellie Krieger from Food Network. I love the flavor in these potatoes, and in season you can use fresh dug potatoes and fresh snipped chives. You can also use new red potatoes (they have less starch) and home made chicken broth. (Surely this one is simple enough, Shanna!)


Smashed Potatoes with Chives and Sour Cream

Ingredients
1 1/4 pounds Yukon gold potatoes (4 medium) unpeeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth, warmed
1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Directions
Place potatoes in a steamer basket fitted over a large pot of boiling water. Cover and steam for about 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
Transfer potatoes to a large bowl. Add the broth, and coarsely mash the potatoes. Stir in the sour cream and chives. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve.

No comments: